- AAA membership has reached the 60 million member milestone, making it one of the largest membership organizations in North America.
- In the U.S., 1 in 4 households rely on AAA membership.
- Investing in technology to meet evolving consumer needs has helped spur membership among tech-savvy millennials, who now make up nearly 30% of new primary members.
- Roadside assistance continues to be a primary reason for members to join AAA, with AAA handling more than 30 million calls a year.
- AAA goes beyond roadside assistance in the area. In addition, AAA promotes traffic safety through initiatives such as the AAA School Safety Patrol, CarFit, The AAA Teen Driving Experience and the AAA Traffic Safety Awards.
Driven to Success: AAA Membership Reaches 60 Million Member Milestone
1 in 4 U.S. households rely on North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization
September 26, 2019— AAA has hit the milestone mark of 60 million members, making the iconic brand one of the largest membership associations in North America.
In South Dakota, membership has now grown to reach nearly 100,000 members.
Since 1902, AAA has evoked feelings of safety, security and peace of mind, with 1 in 4 U.S. households today relying on membership in AAA. This achievement is a result of AAA’s intense focus on meeting the evolving needs of members in an ever-changing technology and travel environment, while also staying focused on the qualities millions have relied on for generations.
“AAA is incredibly grateful to each one of our 60 million members and we take their loyalty and trust in us seriously,” said AAA President and CEO Marshall Doney. “For 117 years, we have put members first with unwavering commitment. We will continue to provide them with quality service at the roadside, trusted travel expertise, unparalleled discounts and rewards, and leading traffic safety research and advocacy to ensure that everyone arrives home safely at the end of the day.”
Millennials make up nearly 30% of AAA new primary members
AAA knows innovation is key and strategic adaptation is necessary to stay competitive. Over the years, AAA has invested in technology to meet evolving consumer expectations, including the launch of the AAA app, real-time text notifications and tracking roadside assistance enroute.
AAA has also introduced the ability to use home digital assistants to connect with AAA or request service through third-party apps, like Waze. This focus on technology is one of the reasons millennials make up nearly 30% of AAA’s new primary members.
Roadside assistance has been cornerstone
“The AAA brand remains strong and relevant,” said AAA Board of Directors Chair Bill Mekrut. “Roadside assistance consistently is members’ primary reason to join – and AAA handles more than 30 million calls a year. Yet, as our members’ way of life evolves, so will AAA with relevant products and services that meet their needs.”
As AAA looks to the future, the organization is exploring new mobility solutions. AAA is working to educate members and others about the exciting possibilities—and current limitations—of evolving vehicle technologies, to help ensure a safe transition to mobility of the future.
“AAA has a reputation as one of America’s most trusted brands and we will continue to live up to this expectation as the association drives toward 70 million members,” concluded Doney.